American Oversight Demands Release of Comey-Trump Memos
Following yesterday’s startling disclosure of direct interference by President Trump in an ongoing investigation of his administration, American Oversight is seeking records of any attempts by the president to obstruct the FBI investigation into Russian meddling in the election.
American Oversight sent Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for the release of any and all records prepared by Director Comey or his aides memorializing any conversations with President Trump or other senior White House officials relating to the investigation into Michael Flynn, Russian interference in the election, the 2016 campaign, or any other related issues.
“American Oversight is demanding the release of all memos related to meetings between FBI Director Comey and President Trump, and we’re prepared to go to court to discover the full extent of President Trump’s efforts to interfere with the FBI,” said Austin Evers, Executive Director of American Oversight. “Nearly every day, another damning fact is revealed demonstrating that President Trump has tried to obstruct the investigation into potential collusion between his campaign and the Russian government in regard to the 2016 election. The American people deserve to know the truth. It is long past time for a special prosecutor to take over this inquiry.”
According to a report by the New York Times, Comey maintained written records of every interaction he had with the president, including at least one unclassified memo describing an attempt by Trump to halt an FBI investigation into former National Security Adviser Mike Flynn.
Specifically, American Oversight is requesting:
- The memo reported on by the New York Times memorializing the private conversation President Trump and then-FBI Director James Comey had regarding the FBI’s investigation into former National Security Adviser Michael T. Flynn.
- All other records prepared by Mr. Comey or on his behalf reflecting or memorializing any conversations with Mr. Trump, including but not limited to file memoranda.
- Any other FBI records summarizing or memorializing any conversations between Mr. Comey and Mr. Trump.
- All communications from Attorney General Jeff Sessions discussing or regarding President Trump’s conversation with then-FBI Director James Comey as reported in the New York Times.
- All communications between Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and then-FBI Director James Comey regarding any conversations Mr. Comey had with President Trump regarding open investigations.
American Oversight is already suing DOJ for records of Reince Priebus’ attempts to interfere with the FBI investigation into Russian meddling and for records of the alleged wiretapping of Trump Tower. We have also filed FOIA requests for calendar entries of meetings between Director Comey and President Trump and for DOJ and FBI records relating to the decision to fire Director Comey.
More information about our lawsuits and the investigation into the Trump administration and Russian interference in the election can be found here.
American Oversight’s FOIA requests are attached below.