American Oversight is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to accountability at all levels of government. We use targeted public records requests and litigation to expose evidence of corruption, abuses of power, or conflicts of interest. We have a deep track record of accountability, and have launched wide-ranging investigations into federal, state, and local corruption — from efforts to suppress voters, to failed responses to the coronavirus crisis, to local officials who supported the January 6th insurrection. American Oversight’s investigations helped uncover the scrapped plan to mail face masks to every American household, revealed key details of Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani’s role in the Ukraine scandal, and contributed to dozens of other significant stories.
American Oversight collaborates extensively with allies and partners to promote impact. We are looking for a strategic relationship-builder to join our team. This new senior leadership position will be responsible for developing and maintaining connections with organizations, coalitions, and stakeholders on issues related to American Oversight’s areas of focus.
This job is about relationships. The ideal candidate will be passionate about accountability and irrepressibly collaborative.
This is a leadership position–the director will serve as a key liaison between the entire American Oversight team and allies–so we anticipate strong candidates will have five or more years of relevant experience, as well as a demonstrated interest in government accountability and transparency.
American Oversight has a very broad portfolio, spanning many issue areas across the federal government and numerous states, therefore comfort across multiple subject matter areas is important. Success will come from getting in sync with our legal, communications, and research teams and then spotting opportunities for us to collaborate with others. The position requires top-notch written and verbal skills, a keen ability to think strategically, and organizational prowess. We are a small team in a fast-paced environment. Collegiality and ability to work effectively on multiple projects, balance priorities, and excel in a team-based environment are essential.
- Build and strengthen senior-level relationships with partners, expanding our influence with peer organizations.
- Represent American Oversight in meetings with allied organizations and government staffers, through webinars, and in other outward facing opportunities.
- Step up in coalitions by offering to draft group letters and position papers, coordinate working groups, and facilitate communication with political leaders.
- Work with partners to develop ideas for open record requests and keeping them updated on the progress of filed requests.
- Coordinate with AO research, communications, and legal staff members to meet partner goals.
- Serve as go-between for AO communications staff and partners to coordinate messaging opportunities and to amplify impact.
- Keep track of commitments to partners and coordinate internally to make sure AO is meeting them.
- Prepare regular reports on communications with other organizations to keep AO leadership updated.
- Maintain awareness of the roles and responsibilities of other AO staffers and seek opportunities to include them in relevant meetings with partners, Congress, and other government officials.
- Ideal candidates will have a minimum of five years of experience in a similar role with a track record of success in partnership development. However, we encourage you to apply if you meet the other qualifications for the role but have less experience.
- Exceptional writing and verbal communications skills.
- Confidence to speak out and step up in shared spaces.
- Entrepreneurial approach to developing relationships
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders and coalitions.
- Interest in government ethics and accountability; familiarity with open records work preferred.
- Sound judgment in anticipating reaction of partner groups to our efforts.
- Outstanding ability to work collaboratively.
- Strong project management skills and detail-oriented.
- Quick learner willing to develop fluency across a wide swath of policy areas.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion.
American Oversight is proudly an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse team. Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they have every one of the qualifications listed. We are dedicated to finding the best candidate for the job. Our hiring process is centered on assessing candidates with diverse lived experiences. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our qualifications described. If you are unsure of whether you meet the qualifications of this position, or how this would be determined, please contact us to discuss your application.
- The salary range for this position is $100,000 to $115,000, commensurate with experience. Generous and comprehensive benefits package.
- We are biased, but we think American Oversight is a great place to work! Take a look at the testimonials from members of our wonderful team.
- American Oversight is a nonpartisan, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.
- American Oversight is a remote-first organization, and our employees can work from anywhere in the country. This position likely will involve significant contact with Congress, so applicants from outside the DC area should be prepared to discuss how they would approach those logistics. Under COVID-19 protocols, we currently have a mandatory telework arrangement. We do have an office in downtown Washington, DC, which may be available as an optional workspace during summer 2021 if pandemic-related restrictions allow.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis.
If you have a VPN turned on, you may have trouble seeing the form below. If you’re unable to access the form, please email us at [email protected].